Skip to main content

Student Loan Forgiveness

Among the many great reasons to work for the State of California is student loan forgiveness. Although the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) isn’t a program unique to or administered by the State of California, its employees are entitled to the benefits.

Who is eligible?

The PSLF is a program offered through the United States Department of Education and has been around since 2007. Through the program, employees of Federal, State and Local governments can have the remainder of their qualifying student loan debt forgiven after they’ve made a minimum number of monthly payments.

This benefit can be worth thousands of dollars but is often overlooked by job-seekers and current California state employees. People deciding whether to enter public service should also factor student loan forgiveness in when comparing the benefits offered by potential employers.
In addition to those working in public service, certain employees of not-for-profit organizations are eligible for the benefit.

What types of loans does it cover?

Only loans made through the US Department of Education’s Direct Loan program are eligible for forgiveness. This includes: Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Direct PLUS Loans and Direct Consolidation Loans. Private student loans are not eligible.

Loans through the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFEL) are loans from a private provider but subsidized and guaranteed by the US government. FFEL loans are only eligible for forgiveness if they are merged into a Direct Consolidation Loan through the US Department of Education.

How do I qualify?:To qualify for loan forgiveness, a public service employee must have made at least 120 monthly payments. That means it will be a minimum of 10 years of public service before your loans can be eligible to be forgiven. It’s not possible to make extra payments to speed things up and reach the 120-payment threshold more quickly.

You’ll have to have had at least 120 months, while working in public service, in which you’ve made a student loan payment. You won’t qualify if you make 2 payments a month for 60 months, for example.

Paying more than the minimum required payment will not help get your loans forgiven any faster, either. Even if you pay an amount above your monthly minimum, you will not get more than a month’s payment credit.

Only student loan payments made after October 1, 2017 qualify. That is when the program came into effect, and payments made before then do not qualify towards the 120 monthly payments.

Payments do not need to be consecutive. If you made payments while working in the public sector, then moved into the private sector, you would not lose the progress you made towards your 120 monthly payments if you returned to a government or non-profit job.

When you are in repayment of your student loans, there are multiple payment plans you have available to you. Not all of them qualify you for student loan forgiveness, though. You must select one of the 4 income-driven repayment plans available through the Department of Education. With these plans, your monthly payment amount is based on your income. Your payment will be low when you first get out of school and aren't making a lot of money but will steadily increase as you advance in your career.

Making smaller payments will also benefit you if you are considering working in public service and capitalizing on student loan forgiveness. The less you pay of your loan balance, the more that will eventually be forgiven. Make sure you’ve selected a qualifying repayment plan as soon as possible.

For each year you work in the public sector, you’ll need to complete an Employment Certification for Public Service Loan Forgiveness form. You’ll also need to do this anytime you change jobs. This will help your loan servicer keep track of all your payments and hopefully make it easier when you’re ready to apply to have the remainder of your student loan balance forgiven.

How do I apply?

If you’ve made your 120 qualifying monthly payments, you’ll need to apply to have your student loans forgiven. It will not happen automatically. The US Department of Education has the application form on its website as well as instructions for where it should be submitted.

Your application will be reviewed when it is received. If all your payments qualify, your remaining balance will be wiped out. You must be employed in the public sector at the time your student loan is forgiven.

Thanks for reading!

Related Articles:

State of California Employee Paid Time Off
State of California Employee Benefits
Online Exams for State of California Jobs


Popular posts from this blog

Statement Of Qualifications

If you’ve been applying for jobs with the State of California, you’ve probably seen job postings requiring a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ). An SOQ is a way for hiring departments to apply Screening Criteria to help them select the most qualified candidate (or candidates) for a position.

Hiring departments requiring a Statement of Qualifications as part of an application package is becoming more common. What was once reserved for higher level and managerial positions, SOQs are now being required for lower and even entry-level classifications. While it’s true that they can be a lot of work, they don’t have to be mysterious or complicated. This article will help to explain what they are, what their purpose is and, most importantly, how to write one that is awesome.

A Statement of Qualifications can be required for any vacancy. They can also be required for Career Executive Assignments or Exams. Our best advice is to approach the SOQ as a way to get invited for an interview. A good SO…

2019 State Of California Paid Holidays

In 2019, Employees with the State Of California are entitled to the following paid holidays:New Year's Day (Tuesday, January 1)
Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Monday, January 21)
President's Day (Monday, February 18)
Cesar Chavez Day (Monday, April 1)
Memorial Day (Monday, May 27)
Independence Day (Thursday, July 4)
Labor Day (Monday, September 2)
Veteran's Day (Monday, November 11)
Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, November 28)
Day After Thanksgiving Day (Friday, November 29)
Christmas Day (Wednesday, December 25)
Notes On Holidays:New Year’s Day – January 1
Martin Luther King Jr. Day – 3rd Monday in January
President's Day – 3rd Monday In February
Cesar Chavez Day – March 31
Memorial Day – The last Monday in May
Independence Day – July 4
Labor Day – First Monday in September
Veterans Day – November 11
Thanksgiving Day – 4th Thursday in November
Day After Thanksgiving – The Friday after Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day – December 25
More On HolidaysColumbus Day (October 14, 2019) is not is a paid hol…

The State Of California Job Application (STD 678)

How to Apply for California State Jobs The standard state employment form (STD 678) can be selected manually here. You can download and edit it in a PDF format. You can also download, print it and fill it out by hand. However, the California Job Blog recommends job-seekers take full advantage of the State jobs website and create a personal CalCareer account.

We recommend that you create an account and generate your application electronically. Then you will be able to manage, submit, and track job applications seamlessly. If you are actively looking for a job with the State of California, you'll be submitting a lot of applications and doing them all by hand is inefficient. If you need more convincing of the benefits, read more about Your CalCareer Account here.

The State Application is the same when applying for exams or vacancies. Applicants should indicate on their application which they are applying for. The application is a legal document so take it seriously and follow th…

State Of California Typing Certification

State of California Typing Test
For certain State of California Job classifications, a typing certificate is required. Most commonly, you'll need these certificates for the Office Technician and Office Assistant classifications. For both the Office Technician and Office Assistant classifications you'll find 2 forms, (Typing) or (General). If you search for either of these classifications from, you should see postings for both in your search results.

For Office Technician, the class code will also tell you whether the position is (Typing) or not. For Office Technician (Typing) the class code is -1139. For Office Technician (General) it is -1138. You'll see that for (Typing) positions the monthly pay difference is $55 more than for (General).

For Office Assistant (General) the class code is -1441 and for Office Assistant (Typing) the class code is -1379. For Office Assistant the (Typing) positions make $79 more per month than for (General).

For both OT and OA job…