Skip to main content

State of California Retired Annuitants

State of California Jobs; Working after Retirement:

We already know that one of the best reasons to work for the State of California is the retirement benefits. But what happens if you retire and decide you want to work more? Maybe you want extra money to save for a vacation. Or maybe you just get bored being at home all day. If you do decide to go back to work, you have a few options.

You can go work for a private company and work and make as much money as you want without it affecting your retirement benefits. You can also work for public agencies in California that aren’t covered by CalPERS. A lot of cities, counties and school districts that, although not state employment, participate in CalPERS. It is not possible to work full-time for the State of California or for a CalPERS participating agency unless you reinstate from retirement. Reinstating from CalPERS retirement will affect your retirement benefits.

Another option is to return to State employment as a Retired Annuitant (RA). RAs are limited to working 960 hours per year. That translates to, roughly, less than half time work. So, if you were to work full-time (40 hours per week) you would exhaust your allowable number of hours after 24 weeks. At half-time (20 hours per week), you would be able to work for 48 weeks, or about 11 months. RAs work “as needed” and there is no minimum number of hours they must work.

Working as a Retired Annuitant won’t affect CalPERS pension payments. You will continue to receive the payments you're currently receiving and there will be no change to your health benefits. Working as a Retired Annuitant won't affect any Cost of Living Adjustments (COLAs) you're entitled to, either. RAs will receive a check from the agency/department they work for, and CalPERS will continue to send checks as normal.

Retired Annuitants are eligible to return to any classification they have worked and obtained permanent status in. It is not possible to take exams or enter into any new classifications unless they are very similar and related to one of your previous classifications. If RAs return to the classification they retired from, they will make the salary they made at the time they retired. If they return to a classification they worked in prior to their last classification, they will most likely make the base salary for that classification. If the base salary for a classification is greater than the salary the RA received at the time they retired, they will receive the current base salary.

Retired Annuitants become hourly employees as far as paydays and time-keeping are concerned. The State will determine the hourly rate an RA is paid by taking their monthly salary and dividing it by 173.333. This hourly rate is then multiplied by the number of hours worked during a pay period.

Retired Annuitants don’t accrue more service credit and don’t pay into CalPERS. This means that working as an RA won’t increase their monthly pension. Also, RAs don’t earn sick, vacation or leave credits. There is no paid time off when working for the State after retirement. This includes paid public holidays. If RAs don’t work, they don’t get paid.

Positions as a Retired Annuitant with the State of California can end at any time. If the department no longer needs your services, they can end your employment at any time without any notice. In times of budget cuts or layoffs state rules dictate that Retired Annuitants are the first to be let go.

How to Find Jobs:

All departments with the State of California are able to employ Retired Annuitants. The majority of agencies/departments use the Boomerang portal to do their recruiting. Boomerang is an up to date database of current opportunities and is one of the most important sites to know for State of California employee. Like CalCareers, job postings are updated daily.

Registering and creating an account on this site will display what you have to offer to prospective employers as well as give you the ability to search for potential opportunities. Some departments also advertise for RA vacancies on CalCareers.

The hiring process is similar (although simpler) than being hired into the State for the first time. Candidates already have eligibility, so it's not necessary for them to take an exam. Candidates still have to submit an application (STD 678) and complete pre-employment clearances, though.

The clearances you may need to complete vary by position and department. They could include a physical, criminal record background check, employment verification or reference checks. Certification that you have not received unemployment insurance payments during the last year is an across-the-board requirement with the State of California RA positions.

How to Apply:

Register and login to your Boomerang account to look for jobs there. They'll walk you through the application process.

In CalCareers, click on Advanced Job Search and in the Keyword field search for Retired Annuitant.

If you are interested in a position or department that isn’t listed on one of these sites, feel free to contact individual agencies and ask if they have any Retired Annuitant opportunities.


1) Retired Annuitants must have a break in service of at least 6-months. After retirement, they will not be able to return to annuitant positions until 6 months have passed.

2) Retired Annuitants cannot have collected unemployment benefits within the last 12 months. If you have collected unemployment payments, you will not be eligible to return until it has been at least 12 months since your last payment.

3) Calculations for hours worked are based on California’s fiscal year (July 1-June 30) rather than the calendar year. RAs are limited to 960 hours a year which re-set at the beginning of July.

4) Retired Annuitants can work for any department; not just their last or previous departments. RAs, however, can only work for 1 department at a time.

5) It’s possible to be appointed to a classification that is closely-related to one that you have previously worked. The individual department you are applying to makes the determination if the classification is “closely-related.”

6) Not all departments use Boomerang. If you are interested in working for a department that chooses not to use the Boomerang platform, you can contact them directly about possible RA opportunities.

7) Even though you're retired, the income you make will affect your taxes. You should check with an account to see how working after retirement might affect your yearly tax bill.

Thanks for reading!

Related Articles:

What is CalPERS?
Sites to Know for California State Job Seekers
Overview of the State of California Hiring Process


  1. You said:

    "If RAs return to the classification they retired from, they will make the salary they made at the time they retired."

    this is incorrect as California Government Code Section 7522.56 and 21221(h) reads, "The rate of pay for the employment shall not be less than the minimum, nor exceed the maximum, paid by the employer to other employees performing comparable duties, divided by 173.333 to equal an hourly rate."

    Additionally, the “CalPERS: Employment After Retirement” publication reads the same.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Statement Of Qualifications

If you’ve been applying for jobs with the State of California, you’ve probably seen job postings requiring a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ). A SOQ is a way for hiring departments to apply Screening Criteria to help them select the most qualified candidate (or candidates) for a position.

Hiring departments requiring a Statement of Qualifications as part of an application package is becoming more common. What was once reserved for higher level and managerial positions, SOQs are now being required for lower and even entry-level classifications. While it’s true that they can be a lot of work, they don’t have to be mysterious or complicated. This article will help to explain what they are, what their purpose is and, most importantly, how to write one that is awesome.

A Statement of Qualifications can be required for any vacancy. They can also be required for Career Executive Assignments or Exams. Our best advice is to approach the SOQ as a way to get invited for an interview. A good SOQ…

2019 State Of California Paid Holidays

In 2019, Employees with the State Of California are entitled to the following paid holidays:New Year's Day (Tuesday, January 1)
Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Monday, January 21)
President's Day (Monday, February 18)
Cesar Chavez Day (Monday, April 1)
Memorial Day (Monday, May 27)
Independence Day (Thursday, July 4)
Labor Day (Monday, September 2)
Veteran's Day (Monday, November 11)
Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, November 28)
Day After Thanksgiving Day (Friday, November 29)
Christmas Day (Wednesday, December 25)
Notes On Holidays:New Year’s Day – January 1
Martin Luther King Jr. Day – 3rd Monday in January
President's Day – 3rd Monday In February
Cesar Chavez Day – March 31
Memorial Day – The last Monday in May
Independence Day – July 4
Labor Day – First Monday in September
Veterans Day – November 11
Thanksgiving Day – 4th Thursday in November
Day After Thanksgiving – The Friday after Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day – December 25
More On HolidaysColumbus Day (October 14, 2019) is not is a paid hol…

The State Of California Job Application (STD 678)

How to Apply for California State Jobs The standard state employment form (STD 678) can be selected manually here. You can download and edit it in a PDF format. You can also download, print it and fill it out by hand. However, the California Job Blog recommends job-seekers take full advantage of the State jobs website and create a personal CalCareer account.

We recommend that you create an account and generate your application electronically. Then you will be able to manage, submit, and track job applications seamlessly. If you are actively looking for a job with the State of California, you'll be submitting a lot of applications and doing them all by hand is inefficient. If you need more convincing of the benefits, read more about Your CalCareer Account here.

The State Application is the same when applying for exams or vacancies. Applicants should indicate on their application which they are applying for. The application is a legal document so take it seriously and follow th…

State Of California Typing Certification

State of California Typing Test
For certain State of California Job classifications, a typing certificate is required. Most commonly, you'll need these certificates for the Office Technician and Office Assistant classifications. For both the Office Technician and Office Assistant classifications you'll find 2 forms, (Typing) or (General). If you search for either of these classifications from, you should see postings for both in your search results.

For Office Technician, the class code will also tell you whether the position is (Typing) or not. For Office Technician (Typing) the class code is -1139. For Office Technician (General) it is -1138. You'll see that for (Typing) positions the monthly pay difference is $55 more than for (General).

For Office Assistant (General) the class code is -1441 and for Office Assistant (Typing) the class code is -1379. For Office Assistant the (Typing) positions make $79 more per month than for (General).

For both OT and OA job…